Awesome job! You are almost finished preparing yourself to achieve more than you ever imagined in the next season. The only thing that stands between you and your goals is getting started. This is the most important part of making this your best season ever.
FOLLOW THESE SEVEN STEPS:
1. Get off your but: Don't let your circumstances become an excuse. For example, I would love to BE A MAJOR CONTRIBUTOR ON VARSITY THIS SEASON BUT_____.
2. Don't overthink it: Extensive planning can often be a fancy way to procrastinate. Instead, get started and you'll figure out things along the way.
3. Chunk down your goals. In order to reach your goals, you just need to take the next action, then the next. When you think about your goals, break them down into bite-size chunks until you have gone the whole distance.
4. Get in on your calendar: If you're like most people, if it doesn't get on your schedule, it doesn't get done. You won't accomplish your goals in the leftover time, because most of us don't have any.
5. Honor your commitments: Take your goals seriously. Think of them as your solemn commitment to change and then honor them accordingly.
6. Maintain forward momentum: Each action you take builds momentum toward your goal. I recommend that you schedule time to work on you goals, possibly first thing in the morning when you have the smallest chance of getting distracted.
7. Celebrate your wins: If you don't celebrate your wins along the way, you'll lose the energy you need to reach the finish line. Make it a point to include those closest to you when you celebrate.
That wraps up 5 DAYS TO THE BEST SEASON EVER.
If you're interested in HAVING THE BEST SEASON EVER be sure to check out our 5 Days to the Best Season Ever Workbook here.
As always, please let me know if you have any questions by replying to this email.
Today, in day 4 of our 5-day mini-course, we're going to discuss FINDING YOUR WHY to your best season ever.
FIND YOUR WHY
Athletes lose their way when they lose their why. How many times have we seen that come true?
One of the most important aspects of achieving the goals you set is to get deeply connected with your motivations. You can unleash a powerful source of personal motivation by taking five actions:
1. Identify your key motivations. You need to answer the following questions for every goal: Why is this goal important to me? What is at stake if I don't reach my goal? What is at stake if I do reach the goal?
2. Record those key motivations. I recommend you make a bulleted list of five to seven key motivations for each goal.
3. Prioritize your key motivations. As you look at the list of motivations you created, which ones resonate most deeply with you emotionally? Put the goal at the top of your list.
4. Connect with your key motivations. It is critical to connect with your motivations intellectually and emotionally. You need to understand and feel what is at stake.
5. Review you key motivations regularly. In the same way that I recommend you review your goals, you need to review your motivations on a regular basis. Keep a notebook.
Tomorrow, in the final installment of this course, we'll take an in-depth look at HOW TO MAKE IT HAPPEN.
You won't want to miss it,
Yesterday you learned to CLOSE THE DOOR ON YOUR PAST SEASON.
Today we're going to dive into CREATING THE PATH TO YOUR BEST SEASON EVER.
DESIGN YOUR FUTURE.
We are at the halfway point of the course! This is where we turn from laying the groundwork and addressing the past season to looking ahead to the coming season.
It's going to get really exciting because you are about to design the path to your best season ever.
Here are four practices for setting effective goals. Just a reminder that goals only work if met with action and we will talk about that later.
1. Write down your goals. Research shows that just writing down our goals dramatically increases the probability that we will accomplish them.
2. State your goals effectively. When setting goals, use the seven-fold AACTION criteria.
ACTIONABLE: begins with a verb
ALIGNED: matches what season you are in and your values
CHALLENGING: set them high enough to demand your best effort
TIME-BOUND: assign dates but not the same date to each goal
INSPIRING: not boring
OBJECTIVE: includes an internal criteria by which progress can be evaluated.
NARROW: specific, not broad or general
3. Share your goals selectively. Studies how that you are less likely to achieve your goals if you share them indiscriminately. Conversely, you more likely to achieve your goals if you share them with someone who is supportive. The lesson is to choose wisely.
4. Review your goals regularly. Finally, make sure to set regular appointments with yourself to review your goals. I recommend you do this weekly. This will ensure you goals stay at the forefront of your mind. It will also help to consistently align your priorities with what you already have determined to be most important.
The Workbook has built in templates for actionable goal setting. Because the daily action is what really makes the goal happen.
Now that you understand DESIGNING YOUR PATH TO THE BEST SEASON EVER, tomorrow's installment will dive into WHY YOU WANT TO HAVE YOUR BEST SEASON EVER.
Player Development Coach
P.S. If you'd like to get started with 5 DAYS TO THE BEST SEASON EVER, you don't have to wait for the rest of these blog to do it; check out our free workbook here.
Player Development Coach