We understand every player has faced pressure situations while handling the basketball. If you have not, than you know a teammate that has experienced the intense defender or defenders crowding your space and forcing a turnover.
Developing the pullback dribble offers a solution to these three problems:
1. You will have the ability to get out of pressure or react properly to defense cutting you off.
2. Develop poise under pressure by knowing there is an escape from the space created.
3. Coaches can trust players who get out of trouble and take care of the ball.
After years of working with players to avoid or handle pressure situations while dribbling the basketball the best solution is to completely stay away from pressure, but a another option is the pullback dribble.
Below is a video and document showing a drill we recently used to develop this pullback dribble as well as change of speed and finishing at the rim.
Repeat this drill on both sides of the court to develop both the right and left hand ability for the pullback dribble.
As a result of doing this simple drill on a consistent basis players can develop a:
1. Quicker and more confident handle
2. Fundamental footwork and technique of protecting the basketball in the pull back dribble
3. Confidence to handle pressure or a defender who cuts off the drive
This is the just a layer of developing the pullback dribble.
Take a look at other videos in the blog or some of our free training videos.
If you are interested in our spring workouts take a look by clicking here or here. We have training options available for male and female basketballs from 6th to 12th grade.
Player Development Coach